Thursday, December 6, 2007

Quotes, Sawdust and Ramblings



"We used to get pimps going to the hotels a lot. They would promise a good tip as you loaded the car. They never would. Pimps and gypsies, terrible tippers."

- Brandon Flowers, Q Magazine, January 2008


This was a really good Cash for Questions interview with the band. The whole "multiple wives" thing about Mormons came up and Brandon handled it pretty gracefully, but I'd have to think that sort of thing would really start to piss off an LDS celebrity after a while.

So, I've been listening to Sawdust, trying to decide what I think of it. At first, I was a little underwhelmed by it, but I've found a few of the songs stuck in my head at random moments and their version of Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits is one of my favorite covers ever. It's all the parts of the original I loved, without the parts that seem a little painfully 1980s now. This slow appreciation is sort of how I'd come to love The Killers in the first place, so I guess it makes sense it took a while for the B sides and rarities album to get to me.

And for some bizarre reason, their version of Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town really, really works for me.

No comments: